Current Mailing Address:
(New Address for Mission home)
Elder Kyler McCarty
Paraguay Asuncion North Mission
Avda. Santisima Trinidad 1280 c/ Julio Correa
AsunciĆ³n Paraguay

Coming home August 6th 2010!

or submit online *It's Free!*
http://www.dearelder.com/
Mission: Paraguay Asuncion North

Monday, October 6, 2008

Rolla Holla! 10-6-08 A Week in Paradise :-)

I'm not sure what I expected, but I am pleasantly surprised to find that, although I might be living in a distant country, with an entirely different language and culture, the things that matter are pretty much the same: just farther away from home. Aside from the fact that I can't find 20% of the keyboard buttons that I need, or that I'm typing this in a corner grocery-phone-internet shop, or that my companion, who doesn't understand English, is sitting right next to me, I could just as well be back there with you all, in the good ol' U.S. of A. And the work is WONDERFUL! Here in Paraguay, the people are infinitely willing to listen to our message. Their Faith is deep-seated, and their hearts are wide-open. Our only challenge is helping them and motivating them to take the necessary steps to come unto Christ! The language is coming along well. I'm starting to understand the close-mouthed Spanish that they speak here, and I have vocabulary sufficient to reply and be relevant. I pray and thank God EVERY night for the gift of tongues. In my former life, I loved the sentiment that ''Every Man is My Superior,'' and I always worked hard to learn from everyone. But here, that statement comes to life in a VERY real sense. NO MATTER how much I may know about ANY given subject, almost EVERYONE around me is more cabaple of communicating it. And so it's humbling. I've grown to feel comfortable not knowing what's going on around me, sometimes a little TOO comfortable, and I have to refocus and try to pick up the meaning and a few words I didn't know before. I hope I can keep this humility even when I actually CAN express my point of view and understand that of others. It's funny, I'm still working on all of the greetings in Spanish and Guarani, since I hear maybe 5-6 different ones every day. I have seen more pain, sickness, poverty, and trials in the last week than maybe in the rest of my life: but the Paraguayan spirit is a beautiful one! And my favorite response of so many people that we pass on the street, when we ask, ''How are you doing'' is ''Estoy Luchando,'' (I'm Fighting). And the people fight on. I feel blessed to be in this land where so many people have been so humbled and prepared by God. Wherever we are, though, it is our challenge to feel blessed there. That said, I'm learning A LOT from this companionship, with it's language barrier and SHARPLY contrasted cultural differences (My companion is a Native peruvian who's only English word is ''Fetch!''). Most of all, I'm learning to love even when I don't quite feel like it. I'm learning to put my FULL capacity behind a plan with which I may not totally (or even partially) agree, often simply because I can't communicate why I DON'T agree. BUT, that has taught me the importance of being a SUPPORTIVE, devoted follower. Really, it's a lesson about Faith. Oh that I had more time! But this is where this weeks Holla has to come to an end. I had hoped to tell you so much more. They give us 30 minutes to use e-mail, which isn't regulated, and I have already gone over (and obedience is so KEY). Thank you again for your love and support! I want you all to remember that no matter WHERE you go, or what you have, or who you're with, the keys to happiness never change. And they are found here within this Gospel! That's why the adjustment to Paraguay isn't too difficult: because, while I'm still searching them out every day, I know where they are to be found. I hope you all will do the same. Whatever you do, KEEP FIGHTING!
With all my love,
Always fighting, Elder Kyler James Rolla McCarty

Narative for pics:
1. My companion and I on the way to an appointment.
2. Studying at my desk in the somewhat run-down but nonetheless beautiful apartment.

No comments: