Current Mailing Address:
(New Address for Mission home)
Elder Kyler McCarty
Paraguay Asuncion North Mission
Avda. Santisima Trinidad 1280 c/ Julio Correa
AsunciĆ³n Paraguay

Coming home August 6th 2010!

or submit online *It's Free!*
http://www.dearelder.com/
Mission: Paraguay Asuncion North

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

THE ROLLA HOLLA!!

The MTC is an experience as foreign as traveling to a distant land. I've been hit with a whirlwind of experiences. I've tried to reach up and pull a few down for the rest of you, but I'm afraid all too many of them are in the back of my mind, only available when I'm reminded of them. But today is P-day, and so I have the 20 minutes they give us here on the computer to relate them all! But, here they are: Week one highlights! Day 1: After I left you all, I stood in lines for about 2 hours, giving and getting different papers and forms. But, while I was there I met two Elders going to Fiji. I'm convinced they only send Elders there that can defend themselves because they were both over 6 foot 5. We had a fun conversation and formed what has so far been an MTC friendship (whenever we see each other). After the lines, I went back to my room, wondering why I had 2 Elders listed under companions. I'm in what the other Elder McCarty termed a "tripanionship." At first I wasn't too big a fan of the situation. Elders Davis and Prettyman had met and learned all about each other's lives and were LESS than enthusiastic about repeating all of the same things again. But they did, and I tried to stay positive.

The rest of that day we had orientation meetings and throughout, Elders P and D (as I'll call them) got to know each other better, and began what has become a deep and effective companionship. Brother Morris, the first counsellor in our branch presidency told us a lot of things. Two struck me with the spirit: (1) Was what Samuel told the lord in First Kings, I think, after repeatedly hearing a voice in the night and arising to see from whence it came. Once he FINALLY realized it was the lord, he said "Speak Lord, for Thy servant heareth." I felt deeply that I TOO needed to be MORE open to those whisperings, by being ready to HEAR and act no matter what they said. I've determined to write a statement of "What I'll do if Given Revelation...EVER!" That way, both the Lord and I know what will happen when that day comes (as it so often has before, and I have acted only with mediocre consistency). (2), and these will have to be shorter to get through them all, but Brother Morris also said that a General Authority had said that Satan can imitate the Burning in the Bosom, but not Peace. This is so True. No feeling can replace the PEACE this gospel brings: knowing that no matter WHAT happens, everything will be alright!

After these meetings, we had our first meal in the cafeteria and MAN are they great! Unlimited food! You get a tray at a time! So, we went to our lines and sat down. I picked up my cup of juice that was in the buffet line (unlike the fountain type juices on the side), and was excited to drink it. So, I lifted it to my mouth while listening to the conversation going on around me. After about a minute and starting to wonder why it wasn't coming, Elder P said, "Elder, are you trying to drink your Jello?" Of course, my glance went from the other elders to the inside my cup, and sure enough, there was the jello, just a-jigglin. I broke out in laughter, and so did the entire table. I was in tears by the end of it. Yes, humor comes easily and often here in the MTC, probably because we are all so ready to smile and to cry, and to enjoy our time in this constantly spiritual environment. Later that night our Mission President told us that "if you never have a dream, you will never have a dream come true." It's a quote I'd heard before and had been struck by before. So, I did as the spirit directed and wrote a card that I carry with me. One side says "The End Game," and the other describes what kind of missionary is the best missionary I can be. That is the direction in which I focus ALL my efforts now. In fact, briefly, I developed a system of 5 areas of growth while I'm here: G-A-T-E-S, or Gospel study, Attribute development, Teaching skills, Espanol, and obtaining the Spirit. Yeah, some were stretched to fit the acronym, but MAN has it been helpful.

Well, Day 2 came, and many more instances of me feeling the holy ghost: a piercing, burning feeling, deep in my heart. Sometimes it leads to tears of joy, but more often to adamant determination to do good! We watched a movie called The District, or real recordings of Elders and Sisters in the San Antonio Mission Field. I felt the spirit as the Elders testified that, "Jackie and Kaleb, God loves you SO much," or as one Elder described a blessing he'd received as "The most beautiful blessing I've ever heard," and I thought of blessings I'VE given, and miracles I'VE seen. Because, family and friends, I HAVE seen them. If you wonder whether they occur, I testify that they DO! Take my word for it, until you see them yourself, because you WILL. I know that! Well, with lots of study and learning, and HUGE improvement in my Spanish, day 5 came along. It was Sunday and I had a total of 9 meetings. I was inspired by several things. The story of David told us that good shepherds who love and care for their sheep can be BOTH tender AND brave hearted. Well, the timer is flashing, 2:12 seconds left. I love this work. I love you all! Life is great and busy. I have felt the spirit and the love in this MTC. IT is so wonderful! I can't send pics or I would. I'll tell you more stories next time. Feel free to ask questions or give advice on the HOLLA. And send me mail!

I love it!
Kyler

No comments: